Chatham County Courthouse is also an Historic Museum. How many times have we heard that Confederate memorials belong in a museum? Well, Pittsboro residents, yours is already there! So, why the supposed need to move it?
The statue was dedicated in 1907 as a memorial to the men of Chatham County who sacrificed, many with their lives, to defend their homes and community from invasion. It was put in place to honor the veterans. North Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice Walter Clark was the orator at the dedication ceremony and was introduced by Mr. Henry London. The statue was presented by Mrs. H. A. London and received by Lieutenant O. A. Hanner. Colonel John R. Lane served as Chief Marshall for the occasion.
On one side of the memorial, it reads:
THIS MONUMENT IS THE GIFT OF THOSE WHO / RESERVE THE MEMORY OF THE CONFEDERATE / SOLDIER. ERECTED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE WINNIE / DAVIS CHAPTER OF THE DAUGHTERS OF THE / CONFEDERACY. MRS. H.A. LONDON / PRESIDENT / AUG. 23 1907
What is the function of a museum if not to reserve and preserve the memories of our past? It is not necessary that everyone within a community understand nor relate to every aspect of the local history, but it is irresponsible of anyone to support the removal of or destruction of any part of local history. Protecting ALL memorials, artifacts, documents, etc is the only way to ensure that every citizen has access to a well-rounded, complete history of the area in which he/she resides. What good can come from erasing or revising history? None. All that will be accomplished is division, ignorance and censorship.
Protect our history! Leave our Veterans Memorials in place!